Citizenship by Acquisition at Birth

A child who is born outside of the U.S. where one or both parents are USC may obtain U.S. citizenship at birth. Where a child is born out of wedlock, the USC mother must be physically present in the U.S. for one year to transmit citizenship. Instances of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) may also transmit U.S. citizenship. Requirements are: (1) USC father must be genetic parent; (2) USC mother must be the genetic parent; or (3) USC mother must be the gestational (person who carries and gave birth to child) and is the legal mother at time and place of birth.