Steps for Attaining Citizenship
- A wonderful resource in explaining the steps towards naturalizing as a U.S. Citizen is found in USCIS’ A Guide to Naturalization .
- The process begins through Form N-400 (Application for Naturalization). Form N-600 is used for children under 18, but that process is not described here.
- Next review the Naturalization Eligibility Worksheet to assure you qualify before proceeding.
- Take two passport style photographs of yourself.
- Review the Document Checklist. Collect required documents.
- Send your application package and filing fee to the appropriate Lockbox Facility or Service Center.
- Receive an appointment letter for biometric services from USCIS.
- Visit a USCIS fingerprinting location and have fingerprints taken.
- Receive an appointment for an interview with a USCIS Officer.
- Go to your local USCIS office at the specified time.
- Bring state-issued identification, Permanent Resident Card, and any additional documents specific to your case.
- Answer questions about your application and background.
- Take the English and civics tests.
- Congrats you are done! Now patiently await a decision on your case. Most decisions are made within 5 to 8 months.
Avvo.com also has an excellent guide on How to apply for US citizenship along with many helpful links and resources.